Wednesday 15 February 2012

How to secure a used HP laptop for sale (erasing files, security, etc)?

i posted an item a little while ago re: Consumer reports thoughts on identity safety and the such in the realm of selling and disposing of PC’s; how there was possibly a void in how securely folks take care of such matters when selling a laptop, e.g. I have a HP dv9500t- I’m selling it; will the restore disc (taking it back to out of box state) be sufficient? Anyone familiar w/ HP’s that can lend a thought or two? Thnx

I used wipe drive pro (www.whitecanyone.com) to competely erase my hard drive in accordance with DOD (departement of defense) procedure. it overwrites your hard drive 3 times and then I restored (with the mfg restore disks) the operating system. It took me about 5hrs+ but it was totally worth knowing I was protecting myself
I also know that this company will sell your used laptop as well (I talked to them, they charge a fee to sell it but they do all that stuff for you)
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=it-bysmart

read this : http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2007/completely_erase_harddrive.asp

first of all, you need hard disk zero writers to completely empty out your hard drive and then reinstall the system and then what you need to do is to install some popular softwares if you got them to make your deal more impressive

You need to understand that when you Format a hard drive, or when you delete a file, all that happens is that you identify that data or all the data in the case of a format, that it is okay to write data over any or all of those files.

The Format and Delete commands only remove a small line of code that lets the hard drive find a file or program.
THEY DO NOT PHYSICALLY REMOVE THE DATA FROM YOUR HARD DRIVE.

You need a program that will over write the data on the disk with 1′s and 0′s in accordance with the FB I or Military specifications. In this manner, it renders any/all data that was on the hard drive totally erased and nothing of your “history” will remain there. Once you have that done, you can reinstall Windows XP (or whatever) and sell your PC.

I use Killdisk and you can get it FREE at http://www.download.com

Hope this helps.

lenovo g550 laptop.I am looking into getting a new laptop for school next year and I don’t know what kind to get.
Right now I have a Dell and have not been happy with it.
But from looking on consumer reports Dell seems to be ranked really high.
I want to make sure that whatever I invest money into I will be happy with the product.

get a mac. i got one recently and i’ll never use anything else again

8/10

ive never had issues with my dell

How old was the Consumer Reports article? What did it say about Toshiba? Regretfully most computer manufacturers are putting out less dependable products these days due to stiff competition and sagging sells. Whatever you but make sure you get an extended warranty. Look into Toshiba, avoid HP and Sony

I have had 3 Dells, one being an older Desktop running ME, and the thing was a POS only good for surfing the internet, and even that was slow. My next was an older inspiron (like first XP) and the track pad broke, and some keys didnt work. My last and latest has been the Inspiron 1525, and it is a piece of crap, the MOBO fried within a year, and now the HDD is messed up. And when the MOBO had to be replaced and the repair man (from Dell) left out screws so now the case is busted. I am NOT buying another Dell, but if i did it would have to be an XPS model. Best move though IMO is to get a macbook ($ 949 and a free 8GB ipod touch) and run Windows Vista or 7 in Boot Camp.

well if u see dell is highly ranked!
it depends what dell laptop u use…dell are mostly used for official use!..i think so
mac’s could be used be used but they are pricy and somethings to be operated on pc’s is easy!
always look for a laptop that is rated has 2 gb memory minimum or else ur computer would work hella slow
try lenovo Tg1 its not as cool but is really fast professional type!
hope this helped!

to http://www.cicmenergie.net/?p=826″>lenovo g550 laptop

No comments:

Post a Comment