Tuesday 14 February 2012

Dell or HP Laptops??

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about these brands of laptops. I usually get advice from 2 techies at work…but they both have different opinions about these brands.

As far as quality is concerned, which is “better”…Dell or HP? Looking at the ratings on the Consumer Reports site, they look they run pretty much neck and neck with one another….so maybe it’s just a matter of personal opinion?

The models i’m looking into are the Dell Inspiron E1705 and the HP dv9500t – both would be customized to fit my needs, of course (looking to use my laptop as a “mobile portfoilio” for my photography work.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

HP over DELL

HP. Dell has bad service. They has just being sued by NYC for avoiding to give service to their clients.

Of the laptops I’ve serviced and repaired, HPs are the nicest machines to work on. HP has amazing tech support and their restore cds are life savers (they’ll restore your computer 100% to it’s original state in the event of a disaster). I’ve never had problems with HP machines.

It really is a matter of opinion. Since these are rated closely, you need to look at your personal priorities and what you need in a computer. I would configure what you need at both sites and then take the item with the least cost. I am facing the same thing now as I am about to purchase a new laptop. Since I have an HP now and it has been a great machine and I can walk into almost any store and buy one, that’s probably what I’ll get again.

Never used an HP laptop, we have a Dell and its 2 years old. The power plug recently went out we replaced it. The cd drive went out we called had it replace and they walked us thru installing it. Other than that we havent had any problems or any bad customer service

Hp for sure. My dell axim, after 2 years of use, the battery is drained. Hardly used it at all really. It seemed pretty cheap anyway. I own 3 hp pc’s(I’m on a Hp 510 right now, $ 584.99 at pcmall. I’m very impressed with all three of them.
Dell= Cheap
HP= Quality

Personnally I wouldn’t go with either. I would advise going with a different brand. I good source and good place to find deals on computer equipment is tigerdirect.com. Their customer service is excellent and can help you in making any decisions. They will ask you the purpose you need it for and let you know which would best suit you. They won’t try to make you accept the most expensive product which makes is even better. They won’t hassle you into buying something you don’t need.

I have a HP dv5220us Entertainment Notebook. I’ve had it about a year. About six months after I had it, the backstroke key quit functuncing. HP sent a special packing box, Fed Ex picked it up, and with two working days, Fed Ex brought it back all good as new. Under contract, so no charge to me. I was very impressed with HP’s service!! The only reason I bought an HP rather than a Dell is because the HP was on sale, and I also get an educator’s discount. I’ve been very pleased with it. I will definitely get an extended contract for only $ 109 a year.

i have a DV6125 laptop , wonderful machine , 1 GB of RAM , rocket speed , great battery life , wonderful online service , they answer right away with any tech support you need , very durable , looks wonderful and very elegant , i can leave it for 5 days opened and no problems happen at all , dell are good as well , but HP is much much better .

new laptops 2011.A relative is looking to purchase a laptop but cannot decide on a brand. Someone with an account at Consumer Reports mentioned to me that Toshiba came out at #1 in relation to how few problems owner’s have with their Toshiba laptops. Do you know if that is true, and if so, can you back it up with sources?
I understand that one should preferably decide on what specifications suit them and go from there. However, this is a very picky family member and wants to see sources on which brand actually had the fewest problems in the real world.

APPLE

THAT IS VERY TRUE
we have two in our house, and one is 5 or 6 years old, and still works fine!

it is great!!
i recommend this brand. But I do not recommend acer brand

it depends on the owner, if they had a good experience

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/921232

It does not really matter about brand, as it is just the same product with a different label. Try to find a laptop with the spec and price you need, don’t base it on one thing.

My laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens and it is great, highly recommended.

According to a laptop reliability study done by SquareTrade, a not for profit organisation, Toshiba’s rank 2nd in terms of laptop longetivity:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/apple-laptops-fourth-in-reliability-study-20091118-im8t.html

Try a Dell

I have owned laptops from Gateway (2), Dell, Compaq, HP and Toshiba.

The Toshiba Satelite series are pretty good.

The gateway’s and Dell’s I had all seemed to go through batteries quickly (meaning the batteries went bad and I had to replace them when they were less than a year old, one of my gateway’s I had to replace the battery 3 times).

I never had a problem with my compaq laptop, I just replaced it with a Toshiba. There was no problem with it, I just wanted a newer one.

I use a HP laptop for work and I have no problems with that one either.

I’d stay away from Dell, Gateway, & Acer. Dell and Gateway its long been rumored they sometimes use used parts in their “new” laptops (desktops too)

Anything e-machines, e-machines would have to pay me to use.

If you go to newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and look at the laptops they have to offer, there will be reviewes by people who own them already, which is sometimes a big help.

http://newegg.com

http://tigerdirect.com

http://www.notebookcheck.net/

it all depends on how lucky you are …..and well some brands outlast the others !! it also depends on how much you use it !!

well i suggest dell … or apple

an apple is too pricy !!!
so i say go with dell

HP is very fragile !! and dell is well build and strong !

so if u have lots of money … go with an apple .. or my choice DELL !!

visit http://www.notebookcheck.net/ to clarify all ur doubts abt any brand of laptops

lots of experience on HP, Dell ASUS Acer and Toshiba laptops.

HP has lots of losers, but a few MAJOR winners, DV7T and DV6T laptops made in 2008-2009 years that have Intel 4500MHD chips and ATI chips are Rock solid for reliability! (Personal experience)

Dell, they like to break more often then not and the customer/warranty support has one heck of a reputation.

ASUS (My new laptop), its a shocker!, quality is out of this world, the last time I remember seeing such high quality parts, ingenuity, creativity and usability was reviled only by a Toshiba Qosmio and Apple computers dating between 2002 and 2005, with them. Very creative and solid, I was honestly impressed (2 weeks ago being a first time ASUS buyer) – lets see how they will stand up to Sager next year!.
The cooling system will impress even the most experienced with computer hardware, Keeping a GTX260 at 88c at FULL throttle standalone and wait, ITS ON MY LAP and It feels like its 25-30c (room temp). (G72GX is a gaming laptop—Not for the average Joe…Oh wait it is but only in this one case =))

Acer 400-600$ machines proved themselves absolutely solid performers! stunning!, in particular the 4530 models must have bin built for wartime or something!, don’t be fooled by the plastic, cheep laptops is where Acer simply SHINES!!!, with no competition in sight, BUT, I have the absolute opposite to say about their 800$ and up priced laptops.

Toshiba, enjoys the lowest return rates at a store one of my buddies works at, they have different lines, but my particularly favorite would be the QOSMIO line in Europe! check em out, its 100% PURE quality!

Apple took one heck of a dive in 2006-2009, their quality is plummeting, but! I am watching them and right now they are working on raising their quality, they are really trying hard, I am rooting for them, but as for right now, whats available, I would have to advise a pass on almost all products.
These guys better stop selling their technology and use some of it themselves.
Did you know these Apple makes a good chunk of its profits from technology sales?

We left out on last company, IBM
Number 1 for quality, used on space stations and I can personally vouch for their rock solid reliability! these things are built for war outer space then back to war!!!, but whats money when it comes to getting Number one for years and still counting.

as a previous answer stated about notebookcheck.net, that’s a pretty good site to get good info on CPU and GPU’s, although be careful they are biased towards Nvidia!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is also pretty good reading.

here is my opinion INTEL though
IBM – Rock solid but not cheap
Gateway – another favorite, many because I have had my laptop for AGES but not cheap
ASUS – are ok
MSI – pretty decent, I don’t know which one I would choose Asus or MSI for this
Gigabyte – No issues, has pretty decent support PIII drivers still kicking around
Toshiba – Good but support is lacking for older hardware
HP – Meh, haven’t had too much experience with them but seem ok
DELL – I always pictured dell as cheap but I have no opinion on this
ACER – stay the heck away from this if you can always failing in one way or another

also it depend on how you use them, most electronics have a MTBF (mean time bettween fail) of 30,000 hours, that’s not much if you have it on all the time. around 3.5 years or so. (including power pack this counts too)
Keeping them away from dust also helps to, it clogs up the fan and the cpu runs hotter than normal If the CPU runs cooler you can prolong the life of your computer by quite a considerable amount. Handle them as if you are carrying a baby.
Don’t use in a storm (atleast don’t have it pluged in), when the power goes out this isn’t the problem, it’s when it comes back on it can create a small surge and degrade the compacitors on the power supply.

Put it this way I have a laptop from 1994 and it still works it doesn’t have a fan though (weird hey, but 486′s don’t produce much heat, its a Gateway 2000 solo).

to http://easyprofitbotsite.com/2012-ultrabook-vs-netbook-how-would-end-up-being-the-ultrabooks-better/”>new laptops 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment